Monday, November 27, 2006

Peacemakers Seminar in March


March 2-3, 2007 in Olympia, WA
"Scripture is clear that Christians are to be known by their love (John 13:35) and peace (Romans 12:18). Sadly, however, most of us do not know how to respond to conflict biblically. When should we overlook? What does it mean to make a thorough confession? What should our relationships look like after we forgive? The Peacemaker Seminar is a five-hour training that applies systematically biblical principles to real-life situations to equip you to respond to conflicts in gracious, wise, and God-glorifying ways." (source)

My take: I am interested in the Peacemaker program because it is aiming to apply Biblical lessons in the context of peace. There are plenty of people applying the Bible to support war and violence, but that's not what I see as the over-arching message of the Bible. I haven't been to any training of the Peacemaker Ministries yet, so I can't assess their message beyond what's available on their website. Apart from what seems like a nod toward "traditional" (stereotyped) gender roles in marriage and a belief in Biblical inerrancy, I'm more interested than turned off. (Those are two big turn-offs, don't misunderstand me, but I'm nevertheless interested in what they have to say about peacemaking.) So I thought I'd post their upcoming training in March and see if anyone wants to go (with me?) and report back.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • I will have to work unless I find a new job by then! I would really like to go though. I used the e-mail feature on the blog and sent it to those in my congregation whom I thought might be interested!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 AM  

  • Thanks, Sean! I might go myself, so if you hear of anyone in your congregation that's interested, let me know. (At the very least, perhaps we can carpool.)

    By Blogger Christian, at 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home