Monday, April 23, 2007

Treasure Under Rotting Wood

While mowing my backyard jungle and rearranging our micro-habitat woodpile, I discovered a treasure I hadn't seen since canyoneering in Arizona in my teens: a morel mushroom. Only one, but a head at least five inches tall and four or five inches around!

Right there in my backyard, possibly the most delicious, most sought-after mushroom in existence! How did it get there? Will there be more? Do I like morel mushrooms? Will my wife eat it? (She's managed to get used to me adding dandelion to our menu occasionally, but she's hesitant about any other volunteer food I grab out of our yard, and mushrooms have that whole "poisonous" reputation to get over.)

I don't know what do to with myself... or more accurately, with the mushroom. Anyone know any good morel mushroom dish recipes?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Look no further, my friend...
    http://thegreatmorel.com/recipes.html

    By Blogger Jonathan S., at 2:46 PM  

  • I am thoroughly thoroughly impressed and terribly jealous that my apartment balcony does not yield such treasures. You will have to report on its consumption.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2:50 PM  

  • We have not done it in a few years but when i was younger we used to go mushroom hunting in the mountains at least once a year. oh how i loved sautéing those divine pieces of heaven. yes, mushrooms are probably my favorite food.

    one of our neighbors flower beds used to have wild mushrooms in it all the time. we would literally sneak over there at night and steal the mushrooms.

    good luck on your recipe hunting.

    By Blogger Sean Langdon, at 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home