Monday, April 21, 2008

McDonalds - Dutch Style

Ok. I finally did it. I could only last so long. I'm only human, after all.

I went to McDonald's this morning. We were running errands; I hadn't had breakfast yet; I was jonesing for a McGriddle... whatever. I went to McDonald's, ok? And McDonald's are the same everywhere, right? Wrong.

First of all, this place had only one front door. The side I was on wasn't it. So I just guessed and went to my left. Wrong choice. Three sides later, I got in. Perhaps they were testing me. Do you really want to come here?

At the counter I looked for their breakfast menu. I don't know why - I always get the same thing. But I couldn't find it... which worried me.

"Do you have a breakfast menu?"

"Yes, we do. Would you like it?"

"Sure."

"That'll be 4.75 euros."

It took me a while to figure it out, but apparently McDonald's in the Netherlands only has one item (a meal, or "menu" in Dutch) on their breakfast line-up. ONE ITEM!

The good part is that the one meal option they have includes a bacon, egg & cheese McMuffin AND a croissant (with jam & butter) AND a coffee AND an orange juice. That's like TWO meals in the States! And for 4.75 in local silver. That's literally pocket-change here. (The Euro coinage goes up to two-euros.)

Forgive me for saying this in a post about McDonalds in the Netherlands, but...

I love this country. *sniff*

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • That is well worth it. The breakfast did contain bacon after all.

    By Blogger Jonathan S., at 9:06 AM  

  • McDonalds?

    I guess you're a true American after all! It was only a matter of time before you craved Mickey D's! You're only human, though. All is forgiven.

    By Blogger Sansego, at 1:31 AM  

  • When I moved to Brazil for mission work I ate from time to time at the McDonalds downtown. One day it just sort of dawned on me that the much better, fuller and healthier traditional meals through local self-service restaurants (buffet style, but the plate is weighed and you are charged accordingly) came out nearly half the price of McDonald's paltry meals. After that first year I rarely ate at McDonalds.

    Cravings are funny when you've been overseas for a while. I got pretty obsessed with a Mountain Dew craving there for a while.

    By Blogger Adam Gonnerman, at 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home