Saturday, May 19, 2007

Making History

In Our Own Backyard

Christie (my partner) and I may be doing something that has NEVER been done before. In the history of the WORLD.

I regularly harvest the dandelions out of our yard - instead of throwing them away, I save the roots, dry them, roast them, grind them, and make a delicious (and healthy!) coffee substitute. It has a delightfully velvety texture with nutty chocolate undertones. (And the aroma of roasting dandelion root is reputedly an aphrodisiac... another health benefit!) No big deal. Lots of people do that.

But TODAY... (cue dramatic music) we took dandelion-root coffee to the next level.

ESPRESSO, baby!

That's right - perhaps for the first time in human history, dandelion espresso has been consumed. And you, faithful readers, are the first to hear of it. (Don't you feel special?) I dug out my old college espresso machine, pulled down the freshly roasted root, and went to town.

The verdict? Mmmm... not quite as chocolaty as last year's harvest or perhaps as regularly brewed root, but definitely velvety. With a touch of sugar (raw, of course), it's perfect. Sadly, we're out of milk to try a latte. (We could have made history AGAIN! The first dandelion latte! Arrgh.)

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Actually, on "Nightline" awhile back was a man who does his grocery shopping in nature! He eats weeds, like dandelions. And he also eats freshly killed "roadkill". That's the only meat he'll eat. It was very interesting. I forget the guy's name, but he lives in the UK and supposedly has a cookbook out, called something like "The Roadkill Chef" or something.

    By Blogger Sansego, at 6:08 PM  

  • Ahh, but did he make dandelion espresso? :-)

    By Blogger Christian, at 6:20 PM  

  • When I was in grade 4 we studied dandelions. My favourite thing was making usable glue out of the milky juice that is in the plan and roots. To end the theme we had a dandelion potluck. I brought lemon jello jigglers with dandelion petals mixed-in. There were lots of different, very creative dishes, but there was no dandelion root espresso!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 6:56 PM  

  • Thank you for a well needed laugh. I pictured you standing in front of your espresso machine drooling as the concoction made its way out into the shot glasses.

    By Blogger Mike, at 7:43 PM  

  • Nope, I don't think the Roadkill chef made dandelion espresso!

    But if I ever get to visit you up in Seattle, I definitely would love to try it out!

    By Blogger Sansego, at 6:40 PM  

  • Interesting! Dandelion root is a good liver detoxifier and it is tasty (although I have never had Dandelion espresso). :) It's a very useful plant.

    By Blogger Cat is my co-pilot, at 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home