Tuesday, May 29, 2007

19th-Century Document and 21st-Century Scripture

The Book of Mormon Under Historical Criticism and Faithful Examination

By exposing the lie that the Book of Mormon is not an historical account of ancient peoples, we can see the truth it was crying out all along. By understanding what is fiction, we begin to identify the fact. The Book of Mormon isn’t something more than it is. It is, however, desperately more than the story of golden plates and peep stones. It is, at its heart, a sober and startling depiction of the reality young Joseph and so many others saw in the early years of the nineteenth century. The Book of Mormon was a truth-telling that ended up converting thousands, and giving them hope. That is still something we can touch today.

Read the whole paper at Bright Christian.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Digging in Cumorah: Reclaiming Book of Mormon Narrative by Mark D. Thomas is a book I borrowed from a library when I lived in New Mexico, and now wish I had for myself. It approaches the Book of Mormon with the techniques of higher criticism, and comes up with some fascinating results.

    By Blogger Adam Gonnerman, at 5:59 PM  

  • I agree! I was really impressed with that book. What I found most helpful was it's deconstruction and insight into major themes of the BofM, as well as its closer examination of particular passages. It was a big-picture/little-picture/big-picture oscillation done very well.

    And, Adam, I've been learning A LOT about how closely the CofC is related to the Stone-Campbell Movement(s)! I knew there was a connection, but I didn't realize how deep it ran. Us "Christian-primitivist/restorationist" traditions have histories that can be so mutually informing. Thanks! :-)

    By Blogger Christian, at 9:22 AM  

  • Very creative posst

    By Anonymous Seth Dean, at 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home